$100 Room Challenge – Front Entry Makeover Reveal

Well friends, I finally made it!  This project had it’s ups and downs, but in the end I’m so happy to have an updated front entry!  The nice thing about the $100 Room Challenge is it pushes us to complete a room because we’re on a schedule.  Not to mention it also keeps us on a strict budget.  This room would still be maroon if I hadn’t signed up for this challenge.  A HUGE thank you to Erin from Lemons Lavender and Laundry for all of her work putting this challenge together 🙂

Now, let’s take a look at how it all began…

talk about blah!

My initial plans included wallpaper and a chandelier.  As you can see, I ended up with neither.  If you missed the first three weeks of the makeover, here’s where you can catch up:

Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3

I had every intention of using wallpaper.  Unfortunately, the product I ordered was very poor quality and would not adhere to the walls.  And to make matters worse, after spending $52 on wallpaper over half of my budget was gone.

the infamous wallpaper

As the maroon accent wall was the thing I wanted to change the most, I decided to spend the remainder of my budget on paint.  I was pleased to find that Sherwin Williams was having a 30% off sale on paint.  Because I had just one wall to paint, I was able to purchase a quart of both primer and wall paint for just $32.88.

From the start, I wanted the dominant color to be green.  I found a nice pale shade of green (Liveable Green) that instantly lightened up the room.

much better!

The painting was the hardest part.  I applied one coat of primer and two coats of paint.  When I removed the painter’s tape, there were some traces of maroon left behind.  I went over them with a tiny paintbrush and two more coats of green paint.

The next part was pure fun…decorating!  I needed to find a piece of furniture to replace the industrial cart that was next to the door.  I went “shopping” in my house and found something perfect.  It’s an old wood veneer storage piece that my mom gave me years ago.  It was in another room but it wasn’t being used to it’s best potential.  It fit nicely next to the door and the scale was just right.

I knew I was going to hang the vintage French lady prints, but I wanted at least one more piece of artwork.  I looked through my stuff and returned with this sampler from 1932.  I remember this from my childhood home and I was so happy to find a place to hang it in my current house.  My mom gave it to me years ago and it’s been hung up at my other homes, but I hadn’t found the right place in this house until now.

I had an oval pink and green rug that was being used in a hallway, but again I thought it would be put to better use in front of the door.

I hung two of the French ladies vertically to the left of the door.

The third print was hung above the console table.

I went looking for a lamp and returned with this floral and vine vintage metal beauty.  I found it at the Habitat for Humanity Restore a few weeks back.  You can read more about it HERE.

The faux plant in the urn was another thrifting find.  You can read more about that adventure HERE.

I also added a small ironstone platter to corral keys.  I was going to add some more decorative accents, but I thought it may look too cluttered, so I left it alone.

Finally, I made some tiny moss topiary trees to place in the windows atop the doorway.  I think they add a much needed touch of Spring to the whole room.  Using Dollar Tree supplies, they cost just under a dollar each to make.  You can find the tutorial HERE.

I didn’t put up a chandelier after I realized the door would hit it every time someone opens the door.  If it had been possible, I would’ve spray painted my brass chandelier and still been within the budget.  Oh well, I’ll save that for another time.  At least I didn’t risk electrocution, since I was going to tackle the installation myself!

So here’s the breakdown of the budget:

  • Wallpaper – $52.00
  • Paint – $32.88
  • Console – $0
  • Artwork – $0
  • Lamp – $0
  • Rug – $0
  • Faux plant and books – $0
  • Moss topiaries – $5.00

TOTAL: $89.88

I’m pretty happy with the result.  It definitely looks better than before, and at night when the lamp is on it looks cozy.  I’m glad we now have an attractive front entry to welcome guests into our home.

Now be sure to check out all of the other before and after transformations below.  It’s truly amazing what can be done with some hard work, creativity and $100!

Similar Posts


  1. Oh cute! The light green looks really nice and goes so well with all the decor! The plants in the window are a nice touch!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.