Red Skinned Potato Salad Just Like Mom Used to Make
My mom used to say that everyone thinks that their mom makes the best potato salad. I couldn’t argue with her, because she made the best potato salad! While this red skinned potato salad isn’t her exact recipe, I’ve adapted it to taste pretty close to what I remember. I hope you like it…but of course, it won’t be as good as your mom’s potato salad! LOL!
I made this recipe for our small family 4th of July picnic. Using just 2 1/2 pounds of potatoes, we had plenty left over after 5 adults were served. If you’re expecting a crowd, double the recipe!
The preparation is quick when you don’t have to peel potatoes. The skin gives the dish some fiber and added color. Another time saving tip: cook a batch of bacon ahead of time and freeze it. On the day that you make potato salad, just take a few pieces out to thaw and cut up.
I think potato salad tastes best cold, so I started boiling the potatoes in the morning so they’d have time to chill in the refrigerator before our early evening party. You can also make it a day ahead if you have an event earlier in the day.
This recipe is just my fourth foray into food blogging. I’ve also shared recipes for Coconut Apricot Bars, Macaroni & Cheese, and Mulligatawny Soup. The recipes have been well received, so I’m going to keep it up!
Red Skinned Potato Salad with Bacon
- 2 1/2 lbs red skinned potatoes washed and cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chopped dill weed
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 slices of bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 chopped scallions
- Boil potatoes in salted water for about 14 minutes until tender. Rinse in a collander with cold water and put the potatoes into the refridgerator to chill for several hours.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, salt, pepper, dill, dijon mustard and vinegar. Combine the potatoes and dressing and gently toss together. Mix two of the diced pieces of bacon into the salad.
- Garnish with scallions, paprika and the other two slices of bacon. Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by today! If you try the red skinned potato salad, let me know how you like it! I’ll be back later this week with a furniture makeover. I hope you will visit with me again and check it out! Have a great week 🙂
All the best,