Craft Room Refresh #4 – $100 Room Challenge
Oh my, I am so behind on this challenge! My daughter was sick and missed four days of school, so I still have a way to go. I had to skip week three and pick back up at week four. But I did sew the curtains and style the daybed. I’m happy to say that my craft room refresh is coming together, slowly but surely!
In case you’re new here, the $100 Room Challenge is hosted twice a year by Erin of Lemons, Lavender and Laundry. A group of DIY Bloggers choose a room in their homes to update. They have a month to complete the project with just a $100 budget.
My craft room presently has boring plastic blinds. They provide privacy when needed, but they are not pretty to look at. I wanted to add some color to the room, and new curtains seemed like an easy way to accomplish that goal. In my stash, I had a bolt of a cheery floral fabric in a lovely shade of coral. It’s just what I needed for my craft room refresh.
I measured the windows and cut four lengths of fabric with extra allowances for hems and curtain rod cases. These are very simple, no frills curtains. I left the blinds in place for privacy as the curtains are meant to be purely decorative.
First I hemmed all of the raw edges on the sides and bottoms of the panels. I folded the fabric over a half inch, pinned and pressed.
Then I folded it over again another half inch, pinned and stitched. You could easily make this a no sew project with Stitch Witchery. I used tension rods as curtain rods, which are very skinny. To make the curtain rod cases, fold the top part of the fabric under a half inch and press. Then fold it down and stitch, making sure there is enough room for the tension rod to fit inside.
Much better, don’t you think! I love how the curtain color coordinates with my vintage 50’s prom gown on the mannequin.
Next I moved onto the daybed. This room doubles as our guest room, and the IKEA daybed converts to a king size bed. I wanted the daybed to look cozy and inviting even when we don’t have guests.
Once again, I found just what I needed in my stash! I picked up this vintage twin bedspread at a church sale years ago. It fit perfectly and gave the daybed a feminine look.
I already had the tan and blue bolster pillows from Pottery Barn. These light purple pillows were on a bench downstairs, but I decided I like them better on the daybed.
The finishing touch was this huge oil painting that was hanging downstairs in a room off of the living room that we barely use. I bought this at an estate sale years ago and I love it. My husband hates it, so he was happy to see it relocated upstairs. The scale is just right above the daybed, and I think it ties in nicely with the floral curtains.
Doesn’t the daybed look inviting? As you can see, the shelves are still a hot mess. As I’ve only spent $6 of my $100 budget, I’m prepared to go shopping for storage containers. My reveal post next week will feature organized craft supplies on those shelves. I can’t wait to finish my craft room refresh! I feel so inspired by the few changes I’ve made already. It will be so nice to have an attractive and organized room to sew, craft and work on my blogging business 🙂
If you missed my first two craft room posts, you can catch up below.
$100 Room Challenge – Craft Room Organization Week #1
Craft Room Makeover Week #2 – $100 Room Challenge
Now be sure to check out the amazing transformations from the other $100 Room Challenge participants below. I’ll be back next week with my craft room refresh reveal. Hope to see you then!
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!Click here to enter
Great job with the curtains Rebecca and I love that huge art above the bed. I have always wanted to do this challenge but have yet to do it. Can’t wait to come back and see what organization elements you add to the space.